About Sunday with Me

Sunday with Me is an invitation for you to spend a Sunday (...with Me) in a place of your choosing for a little or a long while, so what we may do and where we may go can reflect upon and explore the ordinary creativities of leisure time - hobbies, sightseeing, going to your favourite haunts, visiting attractions, pubs, sporting events, and so on. If you have an idea, email neilsimonbowes@gmail.com to make a plan

Sunday 17 February 2008

DOCUMENTS: Sunday with Me: Performance Lecture (4.3.07)

On 4.3.07 I gave a performance lecture to 9 people in Hayfield Derbyshire, North West England, prompting the following generous responses:


"...at times relaxing, contemplative, moving, insightful, funny and encompassed by a transient, yet heartfelt and welcoming, sense of community" - (Paul Stapleton) / "I felt a part of a wider family, though in a liminal state between family and stranger" - Paul Craddock / "The nature of the day gave it the friendly atmosphere of a group attending a folk music session rather than that of an audience attending an academic lecture or a piece of experimental live art" - Jon Aveyard.


The following extracts describe particular events on the original 12 Sundays between March '06 and March '07:

Lecture on Bridges (Delivered from a small island after wading the River Sett):

30.4.06 / For Robin: I’m walking briskly in the very general direction of Castlefields, Manchester, after a year in the city I’m not sure where I’m going. At the Newsagents near Spar on Oxford Road I buy a birthday card for Robin (it has pictures of bears on), and I turn off at the Temple of Convenience, Towards Peveril of the Peak, past Briton’s Protection, remembering (…) I’m following scribbled directions, despite myself, my way feels almost legible.
I turn down the steps the narrow way by the old canal. As I walk by, not through, not on, the water I see a boy of about sixteen hanging off a wall, a sheer drop of ten or fifteen feet. There is a football floating below him, which he is trying to rescue. I shout at him to climb back up, because I can see back the way I came a point where the ball could be rescued. The boy ignores me, so I wait ten minutes or so whilst he eventually climbs back, feeling that I could not have left him. By the lock I see the Newsreader Jon Snow, who is out for the day with, presumably, his family. I imagined they were going somewhere very nice for lunch, and afterwards, with full bellies, maybe to the theatre (to sleep it off). I am very early. I write in the card Happy 46th Birthday, Robin, and wonder where we will go, what we will see, what we will hear, what we will say.


Lecture on Music (Never delivered):
15.10.06 / For Kate: You will take one of her loose hairs and wrap it around her finger. You will take the other end and wrap it around yours and you will both pluck it, exploring the sounds, making attempts toward rhythm and melody. You will while a few minutes before the hair breaks too short to be played. And she will say, that she is going to get ready. You will shower and wait on the landing standing at the window watching a flag snap in the wind. A few minutes will pass you will ask where she wants to go.

Lecture on Forgetting (Delivered at Twenty-Trees):
10.9.06/ For Yosuke: Yosuke shares his sandwich with me and we talk about our work, and after an hour we go for a walk. We are at a loss for what do, until we arrive at a set of stone steps leading up to the city walls. And our tourism is (inevitably) accomplished quite by accident as we walk around in a circle sharing the narrow walkways with families. We take each other’s picture on his camera phone by a turret. And by fortune we arrive at a little bookshop where he inquires about the English Poet Wordsworth, whom he read as a schoolboy in Japan. He tells me that he loves nature and that when he read Wordsworth he was very moved. He recites the poem by heart.
Weeks later we meet up at the Emergency platform in Manchester, where Mariella is performing. I ask him about the poem again, he recites it. I have an idea (which I keep to myself) to find the poem and recite it, making a recording to send to him when he is back in Japan. I ask him what the title is, but he cannot recall.

Some stills taken by participants:




4.3.07: top-to-bottom:
Wading through the River Sett,
Sign for Public Safety, Nr. Bowden Bridge Campsite, foot of Kinder
Sign for Public footpath to Twenty Trees
Up Twenty Trees (5 of 9 attendees pictured)
Phil & Angie Eating Lasagne


Photographs by writings and accompanying photographs by Paul Stapleton over at www.livearchives.org/sunday-with-me/

No comments:

List of Sundays so far...

19.3.06: Lena, Gary, Neal, Gaby, Wladislawa, Sefton Park; Albert Dock; Tate Liverpool; their family home; 2.4.06: Paul and My Dad, my family home Hayfield, Derbyshire, to Edale; 9.4.06: Roshana, Train journey to Chester, for Curry; 24.4.06: Paul, too much beer and too much food, Cornerhouse, Manchester city centre, Jam St. Whalley Range; 30.4.06: Robin – looking for the meaning of ‘46’ (on Robin’s 46th birthday), on foot, by bus, or by car, through Manchester, various locations; Undated (April 06?): Alastair and Pauline: walking Bonnie (the dog) Corporation Park, Blackburn; 11.6.06. Documenting Nick cleaning Denmark Rd, Hulme, Manchester; 3.9.06.With Mariella: Hilbre tidal island, West Kirby, then home (Chester) to meet Werner; 10.9.06. With Yosuke: walk: round Chester city walls; 15.10.06. With Kate: Teignmouth and Newton Abbot, Devon, taking photos; 22.10.06: With Ian: Touring South Devon by car; 10.12.06. With Dad: West Gallery Singing, Royal Hotel, Dungworth, in Yorkshire (and in response to all these: 4.3.07 Performance Lecture, walking, various locations, Hayfield, Derbyshire); Undated (October 07), Circumnavigating Grindleford, with Claire.

Simon Bowes / Sunday with Me on Flickr

I am beginning to document past Sundays in Flickr.com, so now you can go to www.flickr.com/photos/simonbowes/sets for SWM photo-fun!

Thesis & Documentation

Sunday with Me was originally devised through my postgrad research, which informed a 73,000 word PhD thesis called Towards an Ethics of Voice as Hospitable Space, based at and funded by The University of Central Lancashire between 2003-08. There are some minor corrections outstanding but if you are interested in this curious and unwieldy document, sections of it are available on request (Or... just come on a Sunday).